MARC Announces Launch of its Advisory Board
The MCCI Arbitration and Mediation Center (MARC) is pleased to announce that its MARC Advisory Board will be operational as from 15 November 2017.
The MARC Advisory Board consists of fourteen internationally renowned experts in the field of arbitration. The Board will be consulted on matters relating to MARC's development policies and best practices as well as on projects and initiatives to further the development of ADR methods as effective trade and business facilitation tools.
Ms. Sarah Grimmer will be the first chair of the MARC Advisory Board. Sarah is the Secretary-General of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (HKIAC). She was formerly Senior Legal Counsel at the PCA where she served as tribunal secretary in multiple investor-State arbitrations and was appointed registrar in several inter-State arbitrations. Prior to joining the PCA, Sarah served for three years as Assistant Counsel at the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris. She was also a member of the international arbitration group at Shearman & Sterling LLP in Paris, prior to which she worked in private practice in Auckland.
Commenting on her appointment as first Chair, Sarah said : “It is an honour to serve as first Chair of the MARC Advisory Board. Given the range of experience and talent on MARC’s Advisory Board, its Court and within its secretariat, MARC’s future is bright. I am excited by what we on the Advisory Board can achieve to assist its development and success.”
Mr. Neil Kaplan QC, President of the MARC, said: “I am delighted that so many experienced and talented people have agreed to serve on MARC’s Advisory Board. Under Sarah Grimmer’s leadership I am sure the Advisory Board will assist in helping MARC to keep at the forefront of international developments and best practices. As President of the MARC Court I look forward to receiving their advice and guidance in this exciting new phase of MARC’s development.”
The MARC Advisory Board members will be working with the MARC Permanent Secretariat, headed by Mr. Barlen Pillay, Director-General of MARC and Mrs. Anjana Khemraz-Chikhuri, Secretary-General of MARC.
Other members of the Board, in alphabetical order are as follows:
1. Dr. Jalal El Ahdab, Partner with GMPV, Paris
2. Mr. Mark Appel, international Arbitrator and Mediator of Appel Dispute Resolution LLC and a member of ArbDB Chambers, London
3. Mr. Duncan Bagshaw, Barrister, Stephenson Harwood LLP
4. Ms. Maria-Krystyna Duval, international Arbitration Lawyer and Visiting Fellow, King’s College, London
5. Mr. Rajiv Sharma Fokeer, Partner with FTPA, Paris
6. Ms. Sophie Henry, Executive Director, CMAP, Paris
7. Mr. Raju Jaddoo, FCA, Secretary-General, Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry
8. Mr. Patrick Lane, international Arbitrator, member of the Maisels Group and 39 Essex Street Chambers, London
9. Dr. Jamsheed Peeroo, Barrister, Peeroo Chambers, Mauritius and UK
10. Mr. Wesley Pydiamah, Partner with Eversheds Sutherland
11. Dr. Daniel Sharma, Partner in the Frankfurt office of DLA Piper
12. Mr. Nish Shetty, Partner and Head of Litigation Practice and Dispute Resolution, Clifford Chance, Singapore
13. Mr. Christopher Thomas QC, Head of the International Dispute Resolution programme at the NUS’s Centre for International Law, Singapore
The full list of MARC Advisory Board Members and their biodata can be viewed here.
The operationalization of the MARC Advisory Board completes the governance restructuring started at the beginning of 2017, with the launching of the MARC Court, headed by Mr. Neil Kaplan QC.