African Arbitration Awards – 2nd edition - 2020
The 2nd edition of the African Arbitration Awards, hosted by the East Africa International Arbitration Conference (EAIAC), took place virtually after the EAIAC on 28 August 2020 and the winners were announced during a virtual awards ceremony (please click here to view it).
The African Arbitration Awards aim to celebrate, recognise and honour outstanding practitioners and leaders in the Africa arbitration ecosystem and form part of the EAIAC’s vision of building international arbitration capacity, expanding their networks as they promote, profile and celebrate Africa’s success in international arbitration.
The Head of MARC, Ms Dipna Gunnoo was selected to be one of the five judges* of the Africa Arbitration Awards 2020 and had to assess the following two categories**: ‘African Arbitrator of the Year’ and ‘Leading Arbitration Service Provider’.
* The other judges were:
- Prof. Ike Ehiribe, (Barrister & Chartered Arbitrator, 7 Stones Commercial & IP Chambers, UK),
- Dr Dalia Hussein(Deputy Director, The Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA), Egypt);
- Dr Fidele Masengo(Secretary General, Kigali International Arbitration Centre, Rwanda);
- Mr Lawrence Muiriri Ngugi (Registrar/CEO, Nairobi Centre for International Arbitration).
** The five award categories and the winners are:
- African Arbitrator of the Year (over 40) – Ms Dorothy Ufot, Managing Partner, Dorothy Ufot & Co., Nigeria,
- Young African Arbitrator of the Year (under 40) – Ms Madeline Kimei, Chief Executive Officer, iResolve, Tanzania,
- Leading Case Counsel Team – Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Nigeria,
- Leading Arbitration Service Provider – JMiles & Co, Kenya, and
- Innovation in Arbitration Award – Africa Arbitration Academy.