African Arbitration Awards - 1st edition - 2019
The 1st edition of the African Arbitration Awards* took place during the gala dinner of the EAIAC on 30 August 2019 in Nairobi, Kenya.
The head of MARC, Ms Dipna Gunnoo was selected to be one of the five judges** of the Africa Arbitration Awards 2019 and had to assess the following two categories***: ‘Young African Arbitrator of the Year’ and ‘Leading Case Service Provider’.
Please click here to view the winner and finalists of each category of the award.
*The African Arbitration Awards aim to celebrate, recognise and honour outstanding practitioners and leaders in the Africa arbitration ecosystem and form part of the EAIAC’s vision of building international arbitration capacity, expanding their networks as they promote, profile and celebrate Africa’s success in international arbitration.
** The other judges were:
- Dr Fidele Masengo (Secretary General, Kigali International Arbitration Centre, Rwanda),
- Dr Ismail Selim (Director, The Cairo Regional Center for International Commercial Arbitration, Egypt),
- Mr Lawrence Muiruri (Registrar/CEO, Nairobi Centre for International Arbitration, Kenya), and
- Prof. Ike Ehiribe (Professor, 7 Stones Commercial & IP Chambers, United Kingdom).
*** The categories of the award were:
- African Arbitrator of the Year (over 40 years of age, in a recent international arbitration case),
- Young African Arbitrator of the Year (under 40 years of age, in a recent international arbitration case),
- Leading Case Counsel Team (representative team in a recently completed case),
- Innovation in Arbitration Award(innovation by online platforms, and case teams), and
- Leading Arbitration Service Provider (such as experts, funders, forensics and transcription).